Posts Tagged ‘lemon poppyseed’
Recipe: Lemon poppyseed muffins with crystallised lemon
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter (or margarine)
- 3/4 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 1 cup (240 ml) vanilla yoghurt (I used fat-free, but regular is fine too)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Lemon slices (sliced very thin!), slivered almonds, marmalade
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C)
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, poppyseeds, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl, mix (with a hand mixer) butter and sugar until it gets sort of creamy. Add the eggs in one at a time, then add the zest, vanilla and yoghurt and beat until it’s all mixed well.
- Mix in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon until everything is combined, but don’t go too crazy. You want to keep some of the air in.
- Spoon into muffin cups.
- Top with slivered almonds, or a thin lemon slice with about a teaspon of sugar sprinkled on it.
- If you want to go with marmalade, fill a third of the muffin cup with batter, make a little hollow in the middle, spoon in some marmalade, and then add another third of muffin batter.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes (it should be a light golden colour) and cool on a wire rack.
* This recipe should make about 12. Since I didn’t fill my muffin cups to the brim, it made 15 for me.
For more of an orange-y flavour, you can also add the zest of one orange (in addition to the lemon) and top with a thin half slice of orange.
Cooking time (duration): 20
Diet (other): Reduced fat
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)