Posts Tagged ‘cocoa’
- 1 cup unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cup sugar (I’ve done batches with only white sugar, only brown, or both mixed. Works fine either way)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs molasses (you want table molasses, NOT bootstrap or unsulphured)
- 2 1/4 cups cake/pastry flour
- 1 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 350ºF.
- Cream butter and sugar until well-mixed
- Beat in one egg at a time, then add molasses
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Optional: If you want to make a chocolate version, add a few spoons of cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Alternatively, you can add nuts, raisins etc for other varieties.
- Drop spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet (I prefer to roll a heaped teaspoon of dough and flatten slightly for a smoother cookie surface).
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. (Okay, eat one while it’s piping hot. They’re delicious!!)
- Serve with a cold glass of milk, or warm with some ice-cream.
These cookies keep very well if you store them in an air-tight container, with wax paper or paper towel between each layer.