Posts Tagged ‘carrot pudding’
Kulsum over at JourneyKitchen and I were wondering (twittering?) about something sweet to cook with carrots, besides the same old carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I remembered the kids cookbook sitting on my bookshelf.
I don’t have kids – rather, my dad had bought it for me as a joke before my first day at university. Little did he know that it would end up being one of my favourite go-to books over the next ten years and more! Since it’s geared towards kids, every single step is accompanied by hand illustrations, which makes it just that much more fun to sift through. Without further ado, here’s the recipe (pics below).
Recipe: Golden Carrot Puddings
- 4 tsps golden syrup (I much prefer honey!)
- 1 1/3 cups coarsely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (walnuts good too)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice (I’ve used allspice or cloves before)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- whipped cream, to serve
- 1. Lightly grease 4 microwave safe cups with oil
- 2. Put a teaspoon of syrup (or honey) into each cup
- 3. Put carrots, nuts and sugar in a bowl
- 4. Sift flour, spice and cinnamon over
- 5. Add egg and oil. Mix well.
- 6. Spoon evenly into cups. Smooth tops.
- 7. Cook on rack on Medium/High, 8 minutes
- 8. Leave in dish 10 minutes, then turn out. Serve with whipped cream.
I have done a baked version of this too, instead of microwaving. I used a 180 degree oven and baked until the puddings were kinda spongy. If you try the toothpick test, you’ll notice that they’re kinda moist/sticky in the middle. This is totally normal – you don’t want to overbake and have them turn out too dry.
Cooking time (duration): 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Here’s what it looks like (sorry, I just had to show the funny little illustrations for kids too)
It was published in the early 90s but there are still a few copies floating around online. Good if you have kids. Great if you have teens! Here’s a link for some on Amazon: